The Competition is open to participants who meet the following criteria:
- The plan must relate to an original idea for a business in operation for four years or less or a business that is not yet cash flow positive.
- The principal business operations of the business must be located in Iowa.
- Company officers/members are 18 years or older at the time of entry and are legal residents of the United States.
- Businesses can include, but are not limited to: technology, bio-technology, green technologies, medical, advanced manufacturing, agriculture and agri-products, engineering, and education.
- The business is not engaged primarily in retail sales, real estate, or the provision of health care or other professional services. “Professional services” include, but are not limited to, services provided by professions listed in Iowa Code Section 496C.2(4).
- Participants that previously have won a first, second or third place are not eligible.
- Company officer/members cannot be directors, officers, or employees of the Iowa Economic Development Authority, the Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Centers, the Small Business Development Centers or Equity Dynamics. The following are not eligible to participate in this Competition:
- consultants or freelancers who do business with any of the above
- immediate family members of any of the above